RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS APPLICATION
Welcome to the Research Fellowships Application pages for St John's College, University of Cambridge.
Up to 6 Fellowships will be offered in 2017.
This competition closed at 17.00 Monday 3 October 2016 (BST). If you have a user account registered with this competition, please go to the My Account
page to view your data.
- The College is unable to respond to individual queries by email, phone or letter; please read these instructions carefully.
- Applications are invited for Research Fellowships intended for outstanding researchers early in their careers. The Fellowships offer an opportunity to carry out independent research in a stimulating and supportive academic environment. Applications will be accepted from any graduate of a university within or outside the United Kingdom. All candidates should note that these Research Fellowships are extremely competitive and typically less than one candidate in 100 is successful.
- Successful candidates are expected to be either graduate students, probably in the latter stages of their research leading to a PhD Degree, or post-doctoral researchers who have been awarded their PhD Degree after 1 October 2015. Candidates who do not fulfil these criteria are unlikely to be considered.
- Candidates holding a fellowship or other post-doctoral stipend awarded by a Research Council or other similar body may apply. No person who holds a Fellowship at a Cambridge College (other than a Fellowship without stipend) may apply.
- Candidates who are shortlisted by the College Council in November 2016 will be required to upload and submit their writings to the College. No interviews are held and the rigorous assessment of written work is of primary importance.
- Shortlisted candidates in the sciences will be required to submit a statement on headed notepaper signed by the prospective Head of Department signifying his or her willingness to accommodate the Research Fellow, if elected. This statement must accompany the written work submitted by the candidate.
- Shortlisted candidates who accept a stipendiary Fellowship from another Cambridge College will be deemed to have withdrawn from St John's College's Research Fellowships competition.
- The election will be made no later than 16 January 2017.
- Successful candidates will enter into their Fellowships on 1 October 2017 or such earlier date as may be agreed with the College and will vacate them on 30 September 2020 or three years after the commencement of the Fellowship if earlier. Tenure will normally be extended for a fourth year following application to the College Council.
- The annual salary of Fellows who are not full-time students working for a degree or other qualification is at present on the scale £26,537 to £28,982, and Fellows are permitted to receive additional remuneration for up to six hours' College or University teaching a week. Fellows who are full-time students will receive a reduced salary until completion of their courses. The salary for a Fellow who has other remunerations (other than that for up to six hours of College or University teaching) will be reduced by the total amount of this remuneration
- Fellows may apply for grants to assist with the cost of their research, including obtaining academic material, travel expenses and the cost of extended periods of research if based outside Cambridge. Conference grants and book allowances are also available.
- Office accommodation is provided for Fellows who do not live in College. Fellows wishing to reside with a partner/family will be eligible for a housing allowance. Fellows wishing to live in College are provided with residential accommodation with charges for services and supplies. Fellows are entitled to a maximum of 90 free lunches/dinners in each quarter of a year.
- The application process begins on Wednesday 10 August 2016.
- Applications and referees' reports must be submitted online, and received by the College by 17.00 Monday 3 October 2016 (BST).
- Candidates will be shortlisted by the College Council no later than November 2016. NO INTERVIEWS ARE HELD.
- The elections will be made no later than 16 January 2017.
- Successful candidates will enter into their Fellowships on 1 October 2017 or such earlier date as may be agreed with the College.